Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The language I love to talk (flash post)

I like to talk about words: groups of words, poems, sentences, paragraphs, stories, essays, chapters, books. Ask someone in one of my writers groups. I get intensely involved, and I enjoy the deep thought that surrounds seemingly small questions, such as whether to use a comma or not.

Fortunately, I have some company. Last week I read a New Yorker article called Holy Writ: Learning to love the house style by copyeditor Mary Norris. She's followed up this week with a video about commas in compound subjects and compound predicates. I earn money helping people out with that sort of thing. (Shh, don't let too many people know about the new video series.)

Comma Queen: Series Premiere (video)

Another site I came across this week is The Punctuation Guide. What could be more fun than mousing over a semicolon and clicking over to a page devoted to all there is to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment